Computer broken :(

My laptop died :(. It basically gets stuck on the loading windows screen and won't turn on.... so yeah... translation will be delayed to maybe 3 chapters a week instead of 5 until I can fix it... which won't be anytime soon since im currently broke... :(

I'll have to translate using my 8 year old ass desktop computer... :\

was going to get ch 44 of Lu Bu out today... but I guess that'll have to be delayed till tomorrow cause I spent the whole day trying to fix my laptop...

Ps. If anyone knows how to fix it it'll be great.

A little bit more information about why I can't fix it or even reinstall my windows...

This laptop is 4 and half years old, hp dv7, my hdd died a couples months back and I replaced it with a ssd,  I cloned my hdd data to the ssd and have been using it for 2 months.

Ssd was performing well until recently when chrome will froze for no reason and my ping for league was all over the place when I re downloaded it. So I ended up not playing league and the chrome issue usually resolves itself after a restart.

Problem with today was that my laptop got stuck in windows loading screen. So I tried doing a safe mode boot to fix the issue. I found out that I don't have system repair in the boot option menu since it's not factory drive. So I tried to do a system restore in safe mode and found out that I actally never turned on restore point in my new drive. So I went and deleted avast and turned off all startup programs that I installed. Still didn't work. Finally decided to do a reinstall of windows but it didn't work either cause it restarted me and once again I got stuck in windows loading screen.

Next I took my sdd out and put my hdd in in hopes of that working and maybe I could reclone my ssd. Didn't work cause my hdd is pretty much dead, it gets stuck on loading screen too. Then I managed to get in safe mode but cloning didn't work... so yeah, I tried everything I know and it doesn't work...


pps. would appear that messing around with the cloning device had wiped my ssd clean... problem now is that it won't clone and my hdd is pretty much dead.... :\

23 comments:

  1. boot in through a thumbdrive with something like ubuntu or lubuntu etcetera, not the best solution but it gets you up and working for now

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have the windows cd for the computer or can boot it from the recovery partition you may be able to fix it. Because it actually gets to a windows screen there is a chance the startup files are just corrupted sometimes from incorrectly shutting it down, running startup repair from the windows cd or boot partition could fix it :). For how to get to the boot partition (usually a key to press on startup) google the model number (usually on the bottom of the laptop) and the brand and add 'recovery partition' to your search. Holding F8 while booting up starts windows in safe mode which is not a long term solution but should let you get your files off if it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That doesn't work because my old hard drive died and this hard drive doesn't have the recovery option via f8 as everything was cloned... I could access safe mode sometimes but it's still not allowing me to reinstall the laptop

      Delete
  3. if that is the problem probably some start up windows files got damaged there are ways to fix it but the fastest and more definite solution is just formating the pc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't format pc cause I can't acess it as my hdd is a cloned version of the factory hdd

      Delete
  4. Hm, did you try F8 > Safe Mode to see if it loads normally? It can be some software installed that's hanging the start up.
    If it does start then check for things (services and programs) that run on start up (with msconfig) and disable them (with msconfig and/or regedit/services.msc) until you figure out what's the cause.

    PS: Check the scheduled tasks too if you want to do a "clean up".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did that and disabled all non factory items and also deleted avast... still same issue...

      Delete
  5. :( had you lived in Denmark, I might have an extra laptop, but I'm too lazy to even consider shipping :( hope your problem works out

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you install a new RAM or sorts?

    Make sure your hardware are properly slotted in.

    Did you update your computer recently?

    Also, is the Windows OS on a partition away from your other files? If so, just re-install windows if all else fails. Unless you threw away your Windows Disc... orz.

    Also... you should put all your translation(s) on Google Drive if you haven't already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, I even took out my rams and put then back in, still nothing. Not sure about updates.

      Windows is on the drive along with my old drive. Problem is that my old drive is like 95% dead and the new drive is a clone, so I can't access either.

      My translations are on Google drive... I just don't have a laptop to translate with...

      Delete
  7. Unless your SSD (or other hardware) is damaged you can probably connect the SSD to your PC to recover your files and the windows product key if you dont know it (plenty of methods to do this). Then reformat the SSD, put it back in the laptop and reinstall windows on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah the main issue is that windows product key. If its not on the bottom of the laptop its gunna be hard to get the key. If you have factory recovery disks now would be the time to use them it can usually detect the key when installing then. If no factory disks are available then maybe you can download them from the manufacturers website.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Also if you have data on the ssd you need I would make getting that back top priority before trying to reinstall windows. If the ssd is unreadable when plugged in there's not much that can be done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I mean that the only real option then would be wiping then reinstalling the ssd. Sorry for the multiple posts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. http://www.howtogeek.com/206329/how-to-find-your-lost-windows-or-office-product-keys/
    To get the key, I recommend getting it from your old drive if you can read it from your old computer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. download or find a bootable win 98 cd and start your laptop with it but dont install 98 just use it to get msdos then copy all the data you have in your almost dead hdd into a usb drive (not your ssd) then using msdos commands format your old hdd and if your reason to say its almost dead is not bc of bad sector or physical damage then a simple format with format c: should be able to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and if its bad sector you should use format c:/c this might recover some of the bad sector. but beware it will delete everything in your hdd so use it after you copied all of the important data.

      Delete
  13. I dont know whar type of windows you are using but if its win 7 then you can use repair option with a win 7 dvd i didnt loosed any data with this option and it doesnt require safe point. But better be safe so save your most important datas in safe mode to a pendrive or hdd.

    ReplyDelete
  14. recently came across xome pc that had that problem what i did was go to command line (msdos) from a windows cd/dvd and use "CHKDSK /r" and that solved the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You can send your computer to repairs and just ask them to format your hard disk for you since they can just put it into a different computer and do so, supposing it isnt hardware problem. you can also try clean install where u delete your drive partition in case a part of your hard disk is corrupted. Also go to bios and rest settings :D. Last but not least check for similar problems on google . if none of it work dang just ask the repair people whats the problem.( They probably gonna say hard disk failure)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh and remember if u use a Windows CD and doesnt load then man ur CD drive prob doesnt work cos after some years some computers CD disk doesnt work so. use ur OLD computer and make an installation copy of windows onto a pendrive (check how on youtube). And important info when u are doing the clean install dont click format instead click delete and create new partition. ( supposing the installing disk/flash drive works )

      Delete
  16. Try installing any Windows updates that are around, maybe it'll work...

    ReplyDelete